By Mary Motzko | February 24th, 2022 | | 0 Comments

If you’re looking to give your fleet career a boost, getting additional training and earning certifications can help you get promoted.

“You can’t stay static if you’re going to continue to grow and advance,” said fleet Hall of Famer Steve Saltzgiver.

In addition, the knowledge you pick up from the courses and training will help you do your job better.

In a recent episode of “The Fleet Success Show,” RTA CEO Josh Turley and Saltzgiver discussed some of the most popular types of fleet certifications. Take a look at the various programs and what’s required for each certification.


One of the most popular certification programs is offered by NAFA. They have options for Certified Automotive Fleet Supervisor (CAFS) and Certified Automotive Fleet Manager (CAFM) programs.

The overall program consists of eight classes:

  • Asset Management
  • Business Management
  • Financial Management
  • Information Management
  • Maintenance Management
  • Professional Development
  • Risk Management
  • Vehicle Fuel Management

For CAFS, individuals can take classes that specifically pertain to their role at the shop. They can pick any four of the above courses. You must take the classes and pass the exams to get a CAFS certification.

The CAFM involves all aspects of fleet management, and individuals must take all eight courses and pass all eight exams.

These certifications are recognized industry-wide and give you a certificate you can tout.

According to Steve, fleet managers with a CAFM make about 10% more a year than fleet managers without the certification.

He believes it’s deserved, given the intensity of the program.

“It’s every bit intense as taking a semester-long class,” Steve said.

NAFA gives you three years to complete the program.


The Association of Equipment Management Professionals offers two certification programs – Certified Equipment Manager (CEM) and Certified Equipment Support Specialist (CESP). These programs are aimed at fleet professionals who specialize in heavy off-road equipment and municipal and government fleets.

To obtain a CEM or CESP, you must have at least 5 years of equipment management or equipment supplier experience and an accumulation of 25 hours of continuing education. You must also pass an exam.


The American Public Works Association (APWA) offers a Certified Public Fleet Professional (CPRP) certificate. This program is aimed at municipal and government fleets.

To be eligible to take the certification test, professionals must submit an application and have one of the following:

  • High school diploma and 7 years of relevant work experience within the last 9 years.
  • Trade school certificate and 5 years of experience within the past 7 years.
  • Bachelor’s degree (or higher) and 3 years of relevant work experience within the past 5 years.


Users of Vehicle Maintenance Reporting Standards can gain a VMRS certification to document their proficiency in the system. Gaining this certification provides users knowledge of the VMRS as they learn the material and will help them enforce the VMRS system at their operation.

Using the VMRS lets fleets follow a numerical standard, which can make their reporting and analytics much cleaner and easier to use.

The certification requires an exam that consists of 15 multiple choice questions and one essay question related to the use and implementation of the VMRS.


The Automotive Service Excellence certification is popular amongst technicians. The program allows for certification in different disciplines, such as brakes, and allows techs to take a course on one specific area.

Obtaining these certifications allows technicians to show they put in the time to learn specific skills and allows fleets to showcase that their mechanics are trained and up-to-speed on the latest techniques.

For more information about fleet industry certifications and how they can help your career, listen to the full episode of our podcast, “The Fleet Success Show.”