Your charter vehicles need to be on the roadways to get your customers where they need to go. Whether you have a fleet of buses, mini-buses or luxury vehicles, your clients rely on your vehicles to run properly and safely to get them to their destination.
It’s important to keep these vehicles properly maintained so they can remain out of the shop and on the roads. This can be done through an organized preventative maintenance program. During scheduled, routine PM services you should perform the following tasks on your fleet vehicles:
- Check and change the oil
- Check the fuel filter and change the fuel lines
- Inspect and replace the air filter, if needed.
- Examine the spark plugs
- Check all hoses and belts
- Inspect the engine exhaust system
- Look for any engine oil leaks
- Check all fluid levels (brakes, radiator, steering, transmission, windshield wash, etc.)
- Examine the heating and cooling systems
- Inspect the chassis and its components
- Check the brake pads and rotors
- Look for fluid leaks
- Inspect the front and rear brakes and adjust as needed
- Make sure the parking brake works as expected
- Check the windows and mirrors
- Make sure the seatbelts are intact
- Inspect any emergency exits
- Check the wiper blades
- Examine the doors, locks, and latches
- Inspect the tire tread, pressure, and condition
Performing these tasks regularly can help your fleet operation detect minor issues with your charter vehicles before they turn into major problems. Finding these issues as soon as possible can help you make the repairs early and potentially help avoid unexpected downtime or vehicle breakdowns.
Keeping your vehicles up and running is not only important for your customers’ safety, it’s also good for business. Is having a luxury vehicle breakdown on the side of the road, or canceling a request because a vehicle is in the shop for unexpected repairs, good for business? Probably not. However, providing your clients with reliable and safe transportation can prompt your customers to refer other clients to your operation.
For more information about how to create a preventative maintenance program at your operation, download this white paper.
To learn how RTA Fleet Management Software can help your charter fleet create an organized preventative maintenance program, contact us to schedule a demo or start a free trial!